Site: In front of my house/pond
Date:May 30,2008
Time: 6:53 am
Temp:39.4 degrees F
Weather: It was overcast and a lot of bad looking clouds(rain clouds)-but there was also a lot of blue sky - a slight breeze.
Soil: It was almost dry but the rain today made the soil very damp again today
Hypothesis:Ducks came back but when water was shallow again(need shallow water)
Today the grass was wet because I think it rained a little last night. One of the things I noticed was that the grass in the water was really tall but the water was also really low. I also noticed that the ducks came back but the water is really shallow. But the ducks never came to the pond when the water was high and almost above the grass. Maybe the ducks can't survive when the water is high. Ducks eat grasses at the bottom of the pond and some bugs at the bottom also. But when the water is high they can't reach the grasses and insects. The ducks need water as a survival need to float and eat the grasses but the water can't be too high or else they have to move. The soil is really wet and the grass is really green and is getting really tall also. I'm okay with the rain but I don't want the soil to wash out and get into the pond and make it even more shallow. But I also notice that the duck need the mud to relax and when the water was high there was no mud near the pond, and I did see duck tracks in the mud this morning. There were a few different species of birds this morning that I heard chirping and it made the pond a peaceful place tody. My pond is a thriving ecosystem and has a wonderful enviroment.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Fantastic observations about the female mallard, as well as hypotheses on the behavior of these birds. Also, your pictures add such value to your observations, as the anti-predator adaptation can be seen! Try not to start sentences with "but". Use "nevertheless", "however", "nonetheless", etc. This will help with sentence fluency!
Post a Comment