Monday, May 26, 2008

Observation 6

Site: In front of my house/pond
Date: May 25, 2008
Time: 7:02 pm
Temp: 42.3 degrees F
Weather: Raining all day- cloudy and no sun
Soil: the soil is mud, so that must mean even deep down the soil is soaked- the rain all week long has turned all the dirt into mud
Hypothesis: It is good that we have had so much rain but will the rain drown the grass(maybe it will)

When I looked at my area when I went through the door, one of the most significant things I saw was that the water was so high that the grass that is in the water is covered. This almost lessens the high biodiversity this pond has because if the grass is flooded, then some organisms and populations can't live here. But the grass above the pond is getting really tall and is about up to the bottoms of my knees. Surprisingly more species and populations keep on coming to this big community and environment. One more bird species has come around the pond, that is the hummingbird. Although they are small, they increase the biodiversity of the area and eat some types of bugs around the area. Around my area, it has been raining so much that I almost can't here the creek running because it doesn't have anything to run over, it just flows. But it has also caused the trees to bud but no blooming yet and everything to become the greenest I have ever seen it. But the only thing I am worried about is the water flooding some of the area killing some important biotic factors that are very important to this environment. Such as some baby willows being covered in water and little pine trees that are being overwhelmed. I can't wait for all the willows and aspens to bloom, it is going to be an amazing area to see as soon as everything has bloomed. Hopefully we start getting some sun because organisms that need the sun for one of their survival needs need it soon. We have had rain all week and no sun. I don't want my area to become a dead wasteland.

No comments: